WE ARE LOOKING FOR: Movers
A Move to Remember is always seeking to grow, and expand employment opportunities for the queer community. At A Move to Remember, we make moving a safer and affirming, and safe process. Moving can be intimate, and we’re here to serve our clients as if we were “their friends who know what there is to know about moving”.
Our movers help our customers feel at ease when it comes to moving their items from start to finish (with strength and delicacy). Master problem-solvers, there’s not a challenge our movers can’t face as a team. As a Mover you should have a positive attitude, a great work ethic, and love to stay active!
Job Type: Full-Time (30-40) or Part-Time (20+)
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Lifting or carrying 75+ lbs over long periods of time (2.0-8.0 hours – with breaks)
- Lift/carry while going up and downstairs, back-and-forth on pathways, and up/down ramps or onto trucks
- Attend all in-person walkthroughs at the start of each location or shift
- Complete jobs at multiple locations within the same 24 hours
- Safely carry and load/unload client’s items by following safety procedures, the employee handbook, and any updates given by Team Leads or the Leadership Team
- Responsible for wrapping furniture and fragile items with blankets, wrap, or other padding methods; carrying boxes (and ensuring boxes are properly secured or taped), and responsible for using supplies to safely prepare items for transport
- Willing to receive feedback from the Leadership team, Drivers, and the owner of A Move to Remember
- Responsible for texting or communicating with team or clients while in the passenger seat of the vehicle
- Movers are responsible for collecting supplies, unwrapping furniture, cleaning the beds of trucks, and organizing/strapping supplies within the truck
- May be responsible for assembly or disassembly of furniture. All tools will be provided by the company on-site
- Able to uphold our values as being affirming of LGBTQ household structures, trans/queer identities, and low-income households
- Has reliable transportation to get to job sites around the Cook County area, or to our warehouse located in Humboldt Park
- Excellent communication skills
- Expected to attend team meetings via Zoom or phone
- General attentiveness of one’s surroundings and on-site variances in nature
- Experience with assembly/disassembly of furniture
- Experience with lifting, cardio, and/or outdoor work experience
- Ability to pass a physical exam required
- Experience with at least one of the following preferred: moving, warehouse, manufacturing, inventory management, stocking, customer service, helper, or general labor
This position is remote – site locations vary based on needs per client. The company’s virtual location is based at 939 W North Ave. Suite 750 Chicago, IL 60642, and its brick-and-mortar location is based at 1617 N. Drake Ave. Chicago, IL 60647. For-hire locations vary based on the week-by-week dispatch.
Summer: Hours of work are subject to change per day, however, general working hours are between 8 AM-6 PM. Days of work typically range between 4-5 days a week, with two off days per week (typically in consecutive order). Hours Range between 30 hours to 40 hours per week.
Movers are given breaks for water and rest based on situational needs/requirements. Movers can expect to work late afternoons and weekends. We aim to have an on-call / rotating schedule for free weekends or off days.
Movers can expect to be paid based on a two-hour minimum, depending on the length of the day. Movers might be requested to assist other team members or teams that are already out on the same day and have the choice to accept or decline additional hours outside of their already scheduled jobs.
Winter: Hours of work are subject to change per day, however, general working hours are between 8 AM-6 PM. Days of work typically range between 2-3 days a week. Hours Range between 20 hours to 35 hours per week.
Given the nature of scheduling moves, preferred availability (or days off) should be sent a month in advance. It is expected that movers show up to their shift, or find coverage for their shift. There is no limit to the number of vacation or off days that a Mover can have, outside of the above-stated expectations.
Our scheduling team relies on a mover’s communication about any changes to their availability, to ensure the team does not get overscheduled / to provide hours to the team.
Movers can expect more work available during peak times of the month (14th-17th and 26th-4th of each month), which is easier to schedule ahead of time. Movers can also expect that the scheduling team will seek to find leads to ensure hours for the rest of each month.
Schedules are released by Wednesday prior to the following work week. Off Days’ are defined as the days not scheduled by this time.
Movers are able to pick up any shifts requested within the Slack Channel, as long as it does not exceed their own physical limitations that may compromise the safety of themselves, the overall job or workspace.
Compensation for training as a mover will be paid at an hourly rate of $16/hour + tips for a total of up to 75 paid training hours.
Compensation as a mover is paid at a starting hourly rate of $18/hour plus tips. Movers do not qualify for overtime pay, however, we do offer time-and-a-half for hours worked on US federal holidays.
The Mover position is a 1099 position.
We provide electronics and equipment to carry out masks, masks, water, Zero Tolerance Harassment Policy, and training for the mover role.
In 2022 we are aiming to support teammates through affordable options for dental, health, and vision insurance through group options for contractors. At this time we do not offer these benefits.
Attending team fitness or educational activities, provided by A Move to Remember.
Movers are eligible for attendance incentives and bonuses.
A Move To Remember at this time does not have clarity around additional bonuses or incentives, but Movers will be notified of these additional benefits as they become available.