WE ARE LOOKING FOR: Movers
We are currently hiring at A Move to Remember for our Spring/Summer Season! Below is a solid overview of both our Mover position and our Driver/Team Lead position. We are primarily seeking folks who have some level of moving/transportation/warehouse experience. While we do train folks up from a starting position, folks are likely to find that working for us is a match for them after having some level of experience in the fields previously mentioned, or experience in personal fitness (weightlifting + cardio based).
Accepting Applications on a rolling basis through August 2023.
Hiring for April-August, with potential rolling work throughout the off-season.
We typically do not hire new folks during the winter season.
(Movers) Pay: $18-19/hr plus tips, based on experience
Company Mission: A Move to Remember is always seeking to grow, and expand employment opportunities for the queer community. At A Move to Remember, we make moving a safer and affirming, and safe process. Moving can be intimate, and we’re here to serve our clients as if we were “their friends who know what there is to know about moving”.
Pay: $16/hr plus tips for the first 75 hours of work
Description: You’ve just come on-board for your first few trail shifts with AMTR. Within this training period, both us and you see if we’re a good match for each other, see if you vibe doing physical labor for extended periods of time, and this is the time period where we teach you our processes and ways we like to connect with our clients.
Job Role: Movers
Job Description: Movers get moves done! You just hopped on the team and completed your trial shifts, and you’re liking the vibe of working with A Move to Remember. Within this timeframe as a Jr. Mover, you’re feeling out whether you will like doing this long-term. Will the summers be hot and the winters tough? Possibly. Are you alone in going through it? Absolutely not! You’re learning how to move, how to organize, how to keep the flow going on the assembly line and where your strengths and room for improvement are. You’re learning how to wrap, how to properly lift and move furniture safely, and how to get through awkward items. You’re also connecting with the clients and making their moves one to remember. And the best part is you got a team supporting you every step of the way.
- Lifting or carrying 75+ lbs over long periods of time (2.0-8.0 hours – with breaks)
- Lift/carry while going up and downstairs, back-and-forth on pathways, and up/down ramps or onto trucks
- Attend all in-person walkthroughs at the start of each location or shift
- Complete jobs at multiple locations within the same 24 hours
- Safely carry and load/unload client’s items by following safety procedures, the employee handbook, and any updates given by Team Leads or the Leadership Team
- Responsible for wrapping furniture and fragile items with blankets, wrap, or other padding methods; carrying boxes (and ensuring boxes are properly secured or taped), and responsible for using supplies to safely prepare items for transport
- Willing to receive feedback from the Leadership team, Drivers, and the owner of A Move to Remember
- Responsible for texting or communicating with team or clients while in the passenger seat of the vehicle
- Movers are responsible for collecting supplies, unwrapping furniture, cleaning the beds of trucks, and organizing/strapping supplies within the truck
- May be responsible for assembly or disassembly of furniture. All tools will be provided by the company on-site
- Able to uphold our values as being affirming of LGBTQ household structures, trans/queer identities, and low-income households
- Has reliable transportation to get to job sites around the Cook county area, or to our warehouse located in West Town
- Excellent communication skills
- Expected to attend team meetings via Zoom or phone
- General attentiveness of one’s surroundings and on-site variances in nature
- Experience with assembly / disassembly of furniture
- Experience with lifting, cardio, and/or outdoor work experience
- Mover or Athletic Experience preferred
This position is remote – site locations vary based on needs per client. The company’s virtual location is based at 939 W North Ave. Suite 750 Chicago, IL 60642, and its brick-and-mortar location is based at 1617 N. Drake Ave. Chicago, IL 60647. For-hire locations vary based on the week-by-week dispatch.
Summer: Hours of work are subject to change per day, however, general working hours are between 8 AM-6 PM. Days of work typically range between 4-5 days a week, with two off days per week (typically in consecutive order). Hours Range between 30 hours to 40 hours per week.
Movers are given breaks for water and rest based on situational needs/requirements. Movers can expect to work late afternoons and weekends. We aim to have an on-call / rotating schedule for free weekends or off days.
Movers can expect to be paid based on a two-hour minimum, depending on the length of the day. Movers might be requested to assist other team members or teams that are already out on the same day and have the choice to accept or decline additional hours outside of their already scheduled jobs.
Scheduling: Given the nature of scheduling moves, preferred availability (or days off) are requested a month in advance via a Google Spreadsheet. It is expected that movers show up to their shift, or find coverage for their shift. There is no limit to the number of vacation or off days that a Mover can have, outside of the above stated expectations.
Our scheduling team relies on a mover’s communication about any changes to their availability, to ensure the team does not get overscheduled / to provide hours to the team.
Movers can expect more work available during peak times of the month (14th-17th and 26th-4th of each month), which is easier to schedule ahead of time. Movers can also expect that the scheduling team will seek to find leads to ensure hours for the rest of each month.
Movers are able to pick up any shifts requested within our Discord, as long as it does not exceed their own physical limitations that may compromise the safety of themselves, the overall job or workspace.
The Mover position is a 1099 position.
We provide electronics and equipment to carry out masks, masks, water, Zero Tolerance Harassment Policy, and training for the mover role.