WE ARE LOOKING FOR: Drivers
If you’re interested in the driver track, you should previously have experience with driving box trucks. Whether that’s personal moves, or general experience, you should be able to confidently manage a 19’ truck with ease, and be able to handle a 24’ or 26’ truck when needed. This is not a ‘fake it til you make it’ role, given the liability of the role. With being a Driver, you should be able to manage driving in alleys, under bridges, through traffic, and be able to command a team’s assistance when necessary to spot your truck. You should be able to take safety meetings with our Safety Liaison seriously, and be able to document your mileage/hours responsibly. Training for being a Team Lead is $20.50/Hour. If you served as an Interim Driver, then you have already satisfied 30% of the hourly requirement for training as a Team Lead.
Accepting Applications on a rolling basis through August 2023.
Hiring for April-August, with potential rolling work throughout the off-season.
We typically do not hire new folks during the winter season.
(Drivers) Pay: $22-23/hr plus tips, based on experience
[Folks without Driver Experience may be trained as a Mover first, before being put in as a Team Lead].
Mover Training/Evaluation Period:
Pay: $16/hr plus tips for the first 75 hours of work
Description: You’ve just come on-board for your first few trail shifts with AMTR. Within this training period, both us and you see if we’re a good match for each other, see if you vibe doing physical labor for extended periods of time, and this is the time period where we teach you our processes and ways we like to connect with our clients.
Driver Training/Evaluation Period:
Pay: $20.50/hr plus tips for the first 75 hours of work
- Representing A Move To Remember with a special focus on the values and mission of the company, while showing exceptional customer service
- Safely transport household goods from the client’s starting location to ending location (locations based on per-assignment)
- Shifts may include both local and long-distance drives (which may include multiple days.) Drivers will be notified and asked prior to long distance trips of their ability to do so.
- Submit required information from Driver and Client logs digitally into the online client log or most up-to-date CRM (determined by the owner) before clocking out at the end of day.
- Lead teams of 2-5 movers; providing safety procedures, directing pre-move/post-move check-ins, and understanding various shift-flows based on job situations
- Responsible for picking up or dropping off company vehicle(s) or for-hire vehicle(s) at A Move To Remember’s brick-and-mortar location, or for-hire brick-and-mortar location, unless approved by the company owner
- Able to uphold our values as being affirming of LGBTQ household structures, trans/queer identities, and low-income households
- Ability to drive box trucks between 17′-24′ in length
- Have a clean driving history (dated at least 3 years back from employment) and a valid license
- Excellent communication skills
- Expected to attend team meetings via Zoom or phone
- Experience with assembly/disassembly of furniture
- Experience with lifting, cardio, and/or outdoor work experience
- Ability to pass a physical exam required
- Experience with at least one of the following preferred: moving, warehouse, manufacturing, inventory management, stocking, customer service, helper, or general labor
- Representing A Move To Remember with a special focus on the values and mission of the company
- Ability to pick-up/drop-off trucks at our West Town Location for every shift
- Has comfort levels around social service programs / participants of non-profit organizations, as all Drivers are expected to have a few job contracts with partner organizations
Location: Our home base is located in West Town, by the United Center. Movers can meet at our warehouse, or on job-sites at the starting locations of customers.
Company Mission: A Move to Remember is always seeking to grow, and expand employment opportunities for the queer community. At A Move to Remember, we make moving a safer and affirming, and safe process. Moving can be intimate, and we’re here to serve our clients as if we were “their friends who know what there is to know about moving”.
Summer: Hours of work are subject to change per day, however, general working hours are between 7 AM-7 PM. Days of work typically range between 4-5 days a week, with two off days per week (typically in consecutive order). Hours Range between 30 hours to 40 hours per week. Peak week hours may add additional time to hours of work available.
Drivers are given breaks for water and rest based on situational needs/requirements. Drivers can expect to work late afternoons and weekends. We aim to have an on-call / rotating schedule for free weekends or off days.
Movers can expect to be paid based on a two-hour minimum, depending on the length of the day. Movers might be requested to assist other team members or teams that are already out on the same day and have the choice to accept or decline additional hours outside of their already scheduled jobs.
Winter: Hours of work are subject to change per day, however, general working hours are between 8 AM-6 PM. Days of work typically range between 3-4 days a week, unless more work is available. Hours Range between 20 hours to 35 hours per week.
Given the nature of scheduling moves, preferred availability (or days off) must be sent a month in advance by drivers. It is expected that drivers show up to their shift, or find coverage for their shift. There is no limit to the number of vacation or off days that a Driver can have, outside of the above-stated expectations.
Our scheduling team relies on a driver’s communication about any changes to their availability, to ensure the team does not get overscheduled / to provide hours to the team.
Drivers can expect more work available during peak times of the month (14th-17th and 26th-4th of each month), which is easier to schedule ahead of time. Drivers can also expect that the scheduling team will seek to find leads to ensure hours for the rest of each month.
Drivers are able to pick up any shifts requested within the Slack Channel, as long as it does not exceed their own physical limitations that may compromise the safety of themselves, the overall job or workspace.
Compensation for training as a driver will be paid at an hourly rate of $20.50/hour (for the driver or leadership-related training) plus tips. Compensation for training for your administrative duties will be trained at an hourly rate of $16/hour. Training will be determined by 60 hours of driver training, and up to 15 hours of administrative training, for a total of up to 75 paid training hours.
Compensation as a driver after training is paid at a starting hourly rate of $21/hour plus tips. Drivers do not qualify for overtime pay, however, we do offer time-and-a-half for hours worked on US federal holidays.
The Driver position is a 1099 position.
We provide electronics and equipment to carry out tasks, masks, water, a Zero Tolerance Harassment Policy, and training for the Driver role.
We offer free attendance of team fitness or educational activities, provided by A Move to Remember.