WE ARE LOOKING FOR: Team Leads
Our Team Leads are first and foremost movers: we are primarily seeking folks who have some level of moving/transportation/warehouse experience. We do also train folks who have no experience, so if this seems like a good fit for you, please reach out. Moving is hard work though, and we find that folks are more likely to find success working for us after having some level of experience in the fields previously mentioned, or experience in personal fitness (weightlifting + cardio based).
If that rings true for you, you have strong communication and leadership skills, and previous experience driving box trucks, apply for a Team Lead track!
Accepting applications on a rolling basis through August 2024.
Hiring for positions beginning in March-September, with the intention of staying with the company year-round.
Company Mission: A Move to Remember is always seeking to grow and expand employment opportunities for the queer community. Here at A Move to Remember, we make moving a safe and affirming process. We want our clients to remember their move as friendly and comfortable, like they had asked friends to help them move, but the friends had the skills to take half the time and do all the heavy lifting.
Pay: $22+/hr plus tips, based on experience
Mover Training Period: $16/hr plus tips
Mover Pay: $18+/hr plus tips, based on experience
Team Lead Training Period: $20.50/hr plus tips for the first 75 hours of work
After interviewing, you will be asked to join us for 2-3 paid trial shifts so that you can get a sense of what the job entails and see if it is a fit for you, as well as so that we can see how you fit into our team and handle the long days. You’ll be trained as a mover first: your first 75 hours of work will be learning how to wrap, properly lift and move furniture safely, keep an assembly line flowing, and get through awkward items. Once you’re feeling confident in that role, you’ll start shadowing and training with our Team Lead Captain. Then, it’s off to the races. Will the summers be hot and the winters tough? Possibly. Are you alone in going through it? Absolutely not! The best part is you got a team supporting you every step of the way.
All mover responsibilities:
- Complete multiple jobs within a shift
- Attend all in-person walkthroughs at the start of each location
- Wrap furniture and fragile items with blankets, wrap, or other padding methods
- Safely carry and load/unload client’s items
- Text or communicate with team or clients while in the passenger seat of the vehicle
- Collect supplies, unwrap furniture, clean the beds of trucks, and organize/strap supplies within the truck after completing a move
- May be responsible for assembly or disassembly of furniture (tools provided by company)
- Receive feedback from the Leadership team, Drivers, and the owner of A Move to Remember
- Representing A Move To Remember with a special focus on the values and mission of the company, while showing exceptional customer service
- Communicate with clients the night before, day of, and throughout their move
- Pick up a company truck at A Move To Remember’s warehouse or a rental truck, drive it with supplies between all move locations, and return it to the warehouse or rental facility at the end of the day
- Complete paperwork and waivers with clients prior to beginning the move
- Lead teams of 2-6 movers; directing walkthroughs at all locations, prioritizing the safety of your team and client belongings, and being the point person in setting your team up for success
- Ensure safe packing of all items in the truck
- Safely transport team members and client belongings between locations
- Submit required information in the driver log digitally at the end of the day
- Shifts may include both local and long-distance drives (which may include multiple days). Drivers will be asked prior to long distance trips and will have the opportunity to decline.
All mover requirements:
- Uphold company values: Affirming of
- Queer and trans identities
- All races and ethnicities
- Non-monogamous relationships
- Non-traditional household structures
- Low-income households
- Lift and carry at least 50 lbs
- Briskly walk on flat surfaces and stairs with items for extended periods of time
- Raise arms above the head, fully extended
- Grip items less than ½” wide
- Reliable transportation to job sites around the Cook county area or to our warehouse in Pilsen
- Excellent communication skills
- General attentiveness to one’s surroundings
- Experience with assembly / disassembly of furniture preferred
- Experience with lifting, cardio, and/or outdoor work experience
- Mover or athletic experience preferred
- Ability to confidently drive box trucks between 16′-26′ in length though Chicago traffic, alleys, and bridges
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving history for the past 3 years
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills
- Experience with assembly/disassembly of furniture required
- Ability to pass a DOT-required physical exam
- Reliable transportation to pick-up and drop-off trucks at our Pilsen location for every shift
Location: We are based in Pilsen, near Cermak and Halsted. Team Members may meet at the lot or at the client’s starting location, which will vary by job.
Hours: This is a contractor position, and team members are booked per job, not for a specific number of hours. Team Leads pick up trucks between 7 and 7:45 AM (depending on travel time to starting location); moves typically start at 8 AM, and are intended to be completed by 6 PM. Team Leads can expect to be scheduled 4-6 days per week during peak season, and can set their own schedule. 20-50 hours/week of work is available, as desired. During off-peak season (Sept 16-April 14), Team Leads can expect to be scheduled 1-4 days per week, 10-30 hours/week as desired and as work is available. Team members should expect to work late afternoons and weekends unless previously approved.
Team members are given paid breaks for water and rest as needed, and a 30-45 min unpaid lunch breaks are generally taken between moves or between locations.
Team members will be paid a two-hour minimum if the move is shorter. Team members may be requested to assist other teams that are already out on the same day and have the choice to accept or decline additional hours outside of their already scheduled jobs.
Scheduling: Team Lead availability is required a month in advance. There is no limit to the number of vacation or off days that a team member can take when providing availability. Changes to availability after after submission but before scheduling is subject to approval from the leadership team to ensure that we do not overbook ourselves and to be able to provide hours to the entire team. It is expected that, once scheduled, Team Leads show up to their shift or find coverage.
Team members can expect more hours to available during peak times of the month (25th-5th of each month).
Team members are able to pick up any shifts requested within our Discord, as long as it does not exceed their own physical limitations or compromise the safety of themselves, the overall job, or workspace.
The Team Lead position is a 1099 position.
We provide the equipment to carry out moves, masks, and training.
Federal holidays are paid 1.5x time.
A mover is entitled to a free personal move every year that they work with A Move to Remember.